Even though our CSA focuses on vegetables and herbs, I received this recipe from a friend last year and love it so much that I thought I’d pass it on.
Guidelines for using fruit juice in place of sugar
- Choose fully ripened fruit as perfect as possible so it has the advantage of natural sweetness.
- If fruit is large, slice or cut up into small pieces. The sweetening will only take a little more than a cup of juice per quart.
- Follow regular canning procedures for cold-packing fruits except in place of boiling water, simply bring fruit juices to a boil and add to the fuit placed in jars and screw lids on as usual.
Suggestions for fruit juices to compliment a variety of fruits
- Apricots: combine equal parts of apple and pineapple juice; white grape juice also works well
- Cherries: grape juice or apple juice
- Peaches: pineapple and apple juice combo, or apple and orange juice combo, or apple juice
- Pears: pineapple and orange combo, or apple juice